Healthy Recipe: The Kids Will Love This Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese
3 min read
Mac & cheese may just be the ultimate comfort food. But while a warming bowl of pasta laden in creamy cheese sauce may be delicious, it isn’t necessarily nutritious. So how can you enjoy this winter warmer while also supporting your family’s healthy, balanced diet? Look no further than our veggie-packed vegan mac & cheese.
This clever recipe uses cauliflower and carrots as the base of its “cheese” (hello vitamin C and betacarotene!). Olive oil brings healthy fats and a delectably smooth sauce to the table while a lip-smacking mix of nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, and smoky paprika packs a flavourful punch – what’s not to love?!
Total Time: 25-30 minutes
1. In a small measuring jug, mix olive oil, water and lemon juice or white vinegar*. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and carrots, and cook for 15-18 minutes or until very soft**.
4. Drain vegetables and add to a food processor or powerful blender along with nutritional yeast mix and liquid. Process until smooth.
5. Meanwhile, cook elbow pasta according to instructions on the pack, drain, and return to the pot.
6. Add “cheese” sauce a mix gently until the pasta is evenly covered.
7. Sprinkle with smoky paprika to taste, and enjoy!
* Olive oil and water will separate in the jug. This is nothing to worry about.
** The cauliflower and carrots are adequately cooked when a fork pressed lightly into the centre causes the vegetable to break apart with little to no resistance.
If you’re looking for more delicious and nutritious dinner inspiration why not try whipping up one of our other healthy recipes?
If you found this article useful, why not share it with a friend who may find it helpful too?