It’s the time of year when you start to regret those indulgent foods you ate during the long, cold winter. You dread the looming days of wearing your bathing suit. You think about all the Christmas parties you’ll attend and the booze you’ll inevitably drink. A detox will fix all that, right? A detox can help you look and feel better, but how do you know if it’s time for a detox?
There are many symptoms which can be a sign that your body needs a detox. And this doesn’t have to only be during the festive season. Detoxes are great to do before you start your weight loss journey, after an illness, or to simply boost your energy every now and then.
Why do we need to detox?
Your body already has an amazing detox system which works through your liver, bowel, kidneys, lungs and skin, and your circulation and lymphatic systems. These systems work together to keep your body functioning optimally and feeling good. However, internal and external toxins can build up within your body and cause your natural detox system to become sluggish. This then makes your body feel sluggish. These toxins can include:
- Pesticides, insecticides and herbicides on some fruits and vegetables
- Synthetic preservatives and colourings in foods and other products
- Dirty water
- Chemical ingredients in make-up, shampoo and skin care
- Diseases in your body
- Rich foods
- Foods that are low in fibre
How do these toxins make you feel?
Many of these excessive toxins cannot be avoided every day, so it is important to be able to identify when your body is feeling the effects of them. Take note of which of the following points apply to you.
- You often feel tired and lack energy
- You find it hard to concentrate or have fuzzy thinking
- You often suffer from a blocked nose or sinuses
- You seem to get colds more than others around you
- You have bad breath, body odour or a coated tongue
- You suffer from frequent headaches where a cause can’t be pinpointed
- You often feel moody, anxious, irritable, or stressed
- You have eczema, hayfever or other allergies
- You have sore muscles or joints, or frequent backaches that aren’t related to an injury or exercise
- You experience frequent bloating, wind, indigestion or nausea
- You gain weight easily and tend to have food cravings
- You feel like you’re not as healthy as other people your age
- You often have constipation or diarrhoea
Make a start
If you answered yes to any of the above points, it’s time to take action! Note that if you are concerned about any of these symptoms becoming worse, or they are unusual or new for you, you should consider seeing your GP. If not, then it might be time for a detox to get yourself feeling your best again.
Not sure where to start? Try our Brauer Slim & Detox for a safe and healthy detox program. You will receive an informational Detox Guide to help guide you through your detox program, and a complimentary body brush. You can also read our 6 Steps to an Effective Summer Detox here.